Sunday, December 7, 2008

To Whom Shall We Go?

My pastor spoke this morning on John 2 - about Jesus and the money-changers in the temple. How they were not true worshippers and did not know the true Jesus...that they did not follow Jesus for the right reason. He asked an interesting question, "why do you follow Jesus?" Is it because of what He can do for you? Is it because of the miracles....

I thought about the "hard sayings" that Jesus spoke about a few chapters later in the book of John. This was in Chapter 6:60 when several disciples made the decision to no longer walk with Him because they essentially could not handle the difficult things He was teaching them. Jesus asked His remaining disciples, "Will you leave too?" to which the disciples replied, "To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life and we have believed and have to come to know that you are the Holy One of God." Those are some powerful words. That is the only reason to follow Him because He alone can speak the words that bring eternal life to the souls of men. To my soul. To me. Where else can I really go to find words that eternally satisfy?

I know there are times that I have looked for the short-cuts, where I have complained about the hard things that I was going through at the time, and I have purposely looked for the easy way out rather than to persevere. Thank you Lord that you have pursued me with an everlasting love and you have not given up on me.

No comments: