Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Amateur mom...

It was easier to raise my kid when they were younger.... (1990's through 1998) I would cart all of them around in the van as we went to neighborhood garage sales....they were so easy to handle back then... I don't remember very many issues of rebellion or disobedience. I kind of felt like I was a cool "older" mom. It was a breeze, a piece of cake. I read some of the parenting books and found that I did not have any of those "strong willed children" (at that time). I had it all together - or so it seemed. Looking back now, it feels like someone else's dream, a blur-- too surreal.

Fast forward into the years 2005-2008 - when I realize that there are three ADD people in my house, including me (and we all take medication for it!) When all three of us are raw nerves early in the morning before the medicine kicks in and then late in the evening when it has worn off. Our sin nature kicks in... mostly selfishness, wanting our own way, laziness, pride (I'm talking about all of us!) and we forget "who's we are."

Add into the mix - puberty and menopause. Something about that dreadful combination sounds (and is) very combustible. Children are definitely for the young... It IS harder now than when they were younger. It seems I didn't "need the Lord" as much back then and that I could do it on my own, thank you very much... and now I am constantly falling on my face (and figuratively on my knees) daily, sometimes several times a day, asking forgiveness of my children (and my Lord) and my husband. But this is the path that the my heavenly Father has ordained for me, and I am learning what it means to follow hard after the Lord -- because it is so hard. But He knows that I can handle it.

I Cor. 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Why is it harder to be a follower of Jesus the older I get....

No comments: